In May 2022, Achmea Bank signed the UN Principles for Responsible Banking
Achmea Bank is an official signatory to the UN Principles for Responsible Banking - the sustainability framework for the banking sector, developed through a collaboration between banks worldwide and the United Nations Environment Program Finance Initiative (UNEP FI). By signing the Principles, we aim to be ambitious in our sustainability strategies, and to integrate and embed sustainability at the heart of our business, all over the guidelines enable banks to remain at the forefront of sustainable finance. More information on the Principles for Responsible Banking can be found on the UNEP FI website.
Green Finance Framework
Achmea Bank, as part of Achmea, stands for Sustainable Living Together. We create sustainable value for all our stakeholders. This means, among other things, that we help Achmea's customers in the transition to a climate-neutral society. For example, by offering services and financing options to make your own home more sustainable. We have ambitious goals for making our mortgage and real estate portfolio more sustainable. Achmea's sustainability ambition also includes attracting green financing. With this we offer our investors sustainable investment opportunities in high-quality Dutch mortgages and real estate. Achmea has set up a Green Finance Framework (GFF) for this purpose. The GFF is based on the Green Bond Principles (ICMA, 2021) and the Green Loan Principles (LMA/APLMA, 2021). The GFF has been externally reviewed by ISS ESG; hereby is a Second Party Opinion available. The methodology has also been assessed by CFP Green Buildings; see the Methodology Report for this.
Achmea intends to (in)directly allocate the proceeds from the issue of financial instruments under this Framework to sustainable mortgages and/or investments related to, among other things, new and existing energy-efficient homes in the Netherlands (Residential Real Estate) and to energy-efficient commercial buildings in and outside the Netherlands (Commercial Real Estate).
You will find the corresponding documentation on the Achmea website:
- Green Finance Framework - This Green Finance Framework report presents voluntary process guidelines that have been developed. This involves green issuers, investors, financial institutions and NGOs with a view to promoting the development and integrity of the green financial market.
- Methodology Report – This is a document covering the top 15% low carbon residential buildings in the Netherlands.
- Second Party Opinion – This involves an assessment of the three core elements to determine the sustainability quality of the Green Finance Instruments.
- Investor Presentation – This presentation provides an overview of the Green Finance Framework.
Making our business operations more sustainable
When it comes to making business operations more sustainable, Achmea is working together with all divisions, focusing on reducing the energy consumption of our office in Tilburg and the transition to sustainable energy sources. We also encourage working from home to reduce commuting. The business operations of Achmea Bank, part of Achmea, will be climate neutral in 2030. In concrete terms, this means that in 2030:
- The CO2 emissions are net zero (CO2 footprint) and the remaining gross CO2 emissions for 40 years are compensated with large-scale reforestation.
- Energy consumption (electricity and gas) has been reduced to a maximum and where possible we generate sustainable energy locally.
- We purchase 100% circular and energy-efficient products and materials.
We will be taking many measures in the coming years to achieve this. A selection from it:
- We enhance biodiversity at our own locations.
- We make the traffic mobility of employees more sustainable.
- In cooperation with partners/suppliers, we take measures against climate change in the procurement chain.
- We make the environment, where our locations are located, more sustainable by sharing knowledge and stimulating local (icon) projects and innovations.
This policy is described in detail and can be found on the Achmea website.